The strong winds have caused delays with the dredging programme with work stopping on three occasions on the Upper Thurne & at Upton Dyke. With calmer weather forecast for a few days we will be continuing dredging at Thurne Mouth, Upton Dyke & the River Chet (upstream near the boat yards).
Two staff visited RSPB Minsmere to see the Pisten Bully harvester cutting reedbeds and using the arisings to make bricketts for log burners – a very heavy machine (not suitable for our delicate peat marshes due to weight and shear bulk). It was a useful visit as it was good to see technology and machinery working together to resolve the issue of re-using reed cuttings.
One of our Konik ponies has been having problems with an injured rear leg and last week staff assisted the vet in getting the leg x-rayed. Not an easy task with a wild pony!!
Maintenance Teams are busy with the following:
- Continuing the installation of safety ladders, chains and gauge board replacements at Potter moorings
- Continuing clearance of reed bed at Hoveton Riverside Park with volunteers
- Tree work on the Upper Bure
- Refurbishments and repairs at Hardley Cross and How Hill moorings
- New car park posts being installed at Horstead Mill
- Repairs to Ranworth boardwalk.